ISRO launches Young Scientist Programme: Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched a special programme for School Children called Young Scientist Programme from the year 2019. However, the second session is scheduled to be held in May 2020.
ISRO YOUNG SCIENTIST PROGRAM
So, the program is intended towards importing basic knowledge about Space Technology, Space Science and Space Applications. Also, the programme is aimed at young students to arouse their interest in emerging areas of Space activities. In fact, ISRO has designed it to ‘Catch Them, Young’.
Duration of The YOUNG SCIENTIST PROGRAM
The duration of the programme is of two weeks during summer holidays from May 11 – 22, 2020. And the schedule includes invited talks, experience sharing by the eminent scientists, facility and lab visits. Also, an exclusive session for discussions with experts, practical and feedback sessions.
3 students from each State / Union Territory will be selected to participate in the programme covering CBSE, ICSE and State syllabus. 5 additional seats are reserved for OCI candidates across the country.
Online Registration Procedure ISRO Young Scientist Programme
The selection will be through online registration. The online registration opens from February 3 to February 24, 2019. Those who have finished the 8th standard and are currently studying in the 9th standard (in the academic year 2019 – 2020) are eligible for the programme. Students studying in India including OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) are eligible for the programme. The selection is based on the 8th standard academic performance and extra-curricular activities.
The selection is based on the following criteria:
- Performance in the 8th Std Examination >>> 60%
- Prize in school events conducted by the School or Education board from the year 2016 onwards at District/ State/ National/ International level>>> 2/4/6/10%
- Winners of District/ State/ National/ International Level Sports Activities conducted by the School of Education Board from the year 2016 onwards >>> 2/4/6/10%
- Scouts and guides/ NCC/ NSS Member – during the current academic year 2019 – 2020 >> 5%
- Studying in Rural School >>> 15%
- Note- In case of a tie between selected candidates, the younger candidate will be given preference.
- Other Details
The list of students selected will be published on 2nd March 2020 and are to upload attested documents by 23rd March 2020 after which the final list will be published on 30th March 2020.