- Sourav Ganguly, former Indian cricketer, has been appointed as a potential president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.
- A meeting was held at trident, in Mumbai regarding the matter, on Sunday 13th October 2019.
- There have been a set of rumors that Amit shah, the Union Home Minister is involved in the election process for the new BCCI President in return for him contesting the West Bengal assembly election in 2021.
- Amit Shah has completely denied any such rumours, and states that it completely up to the BCCI to elect their new leade.
- He also urged the former cricketer to come and meet him, and that such rumors are just a way to bad mouth his reputation.
- He also states that there is no need for a face in Bengal for the BJP, since they won 18 seats without it.
Sourav Ganguly, former Indian cricketer, has been selected as a potential President for the Board of Control for Cricket in India. This decision was discussed during a meeting help in Trident Hotel, in Mumbai on Sunday, 13th October 2019. Such event is a singular one in 65 years that a retired cricketer might hold this position.
Surrounding this, rumors have been circulating, that the cricketer has been seeking help from the Union Home Minister, Amit Shah, to gain entry into the BCCI, in return that he contest in the West Bengal assembly election in 2021. However, after that, The BJP minister completely denied any such relations between the two of them. He has stated that the BCCI has its own election process and he doesn’t decide who the new president will be.
He however states that there is no harm in Saurav Ganguly meeting him, since he has been associated with cricket for the past 18 years. He further quoted,
“there has been no such deals or talks with him. it is just bad mouthing against saurav ganguly if he does, it’s good. but there has been no such deal with him about it. i tell every citizen in this country that the bjp is a good party to join. it’s my job.”
There were rumors in 2016, that the cricketer had been approached for joining the BJP for the elections. In regards to them needing a new face for West Bengal, he says,
“we don’t need a new face for the bjp in bengal. we won 18 seats in bengal without a face and lost a few seats here and there.”
Another meeting for BCCI elections is to be held on Wednesday, October 23rd 2019, where the topic of Presidency will be brought up again. Other than the Presidency, other positions are being held by people like Amit Shah’s son, jay Shah (secretary) and Arun Dhumal (Treasurer).