- “CuteCircuit” based fashion company has created a jacket with 16 sensors in its fabric, which help the wearer to feel the music called the “sound shirt”
- Different qualities of sound are heard on different parts of the body
- The jacket was modelled by the twin sisters Hermon and Heroda Berhane who are deaf
- According to the company, the jacket is completely wire free and made completely out of fabrics
- The cost has been estimated to reach up to 3000 pounds
A London based fashion company, CuteCircuit, invented a new jacket which has the ability to feel the music around them. It has been designed especially for deaf people who can’t hear any kind of music. You can feel the vibrations of the music on different parts of your body- depending on the quality of sound. You can feel drums on your back and a guitar sound on your legs and so on. The product has been named the “soundShirt”
The jackets were modelled by Hermon and Heroda Berhane, who are twins and lost their hearing at a very early stage in their lives. According to Hermon, the experience was amazing and has helped the sisters feel the depth of music, so much so that they can “move along with it”.
How does the jacket work?
Francesca Rosella, the co-founder and chief creative officer of the company, which make technology which follows the rules of fashion, said that the jacket helps deaf people feel the music through their vibrations. It is made completely out of smart fabric and doesn’t have any wires. It consists of microelectronics which are very thin and flexible combined with conductive fabrics. The garment has been described as soft and stretchable.
What is the estimated price?
Due to the unique design, and high quality of the fabric used, the jacket is estimated to come to around 3000 pounds per piece.