- A 31 year old man from Garhwal district attempted to rob 3 banks after watching Hollywood movies on Youtube
- He was arrested when he tried to rob the District Co-operative Bank which he failed to do
- Besides stealing money, the man also stole 2 rifles from security guards, which were confiscated when he was caught
- He was caught on CCTV camera trying to break into the room with cash, but failing
- He was stealing the money to pay off a Rs 20 lakhs loan from a private bank, however, he came from a well off family
A 31 year old man tried to steal 3 banks after deriving his inspiration from watching Hollywood movies on Youtube. Vikul Rath, the accused was arrested on Thursday in Kotdwar town of the Pawri Garhwal district. He resides in Bijnor district of Uttar pradesh and came from a well off family which owns around 20 acres of land for farming.
He was caught during the investigation of an attempted robbery of the District Co-operative Bank which took place on September 16th. He was found on CCTV images which showed him breaking in, but failing to steal any cash. However, on the way out, he managed to steal two rifles from the security guards.
When he was caught near Najibabad area on Thursday, 26th September 2019, the police confiscated the stolen rifles and his bike. He admitted to the attempted robbery of two other banks, and says he got his inspiration from a Hollywood movie in which the villain planned a robbery and succeeded. He had tried to steal the cash to pay off a Rs 20 lakh loan from a private bank, and had also planned a fourth robbery, but was caught before he could try.
He was registered under the Indian Penal code and has been arrested and jailed.