- The cybercrime wing of Kerela police arrested 12 people for viewing and sharing nude photos of children, during a crackdown beginning on Friday, 11th October and ending the same day late at night
- The accused were using what’s app, Telegram, and Facebook to share the illegal photographs
- The first phase of the operation caught hold of 21 people and the second phase caught hold of 5 people
- Besides the arrests, the police have also seized gadgets like mobile phones and laptops
A crackdown was held on Friday, 11th October 2019, by the cyber crimes department of the Kerala Police, which ended on the same day late at night. The crackdown was held to identify individuals indulging in child pornography and those guilty of distribution of such content. 2 other such raids have been held in the past. The operation was named the “operation P Hunt”.
The police have arrested and convicted a total of 12 individuals and many more are in holding. These 12 individuals have been caught for the viewing and distribution of nude photos of children, via Whatsapp, Facebook and Telegram.
The police were focused on 126 groups in total. Minor has also been arrested.
Who are arrested?
- Biju Prasad from Karipur in Nedumangad
- Mohammad Fahad S. from Pullampara
- Sreejesh from Vallikode
- Sujith from Vadasserikkara
- Anoop and Rahul Gopi from Ernakulam
- Jishnu A., Remith K. And Lijesh G.P. From Kannur
- Two I identified individuals from Palakkad and Malappuram districts
The first phase of the Operation P hunt identified 21 such people and the second phase has caught on to 5 others.
Besides multiple arrests, the police have also seized laptops, modems, mobile phones, memory cards and hard disks from these individuals, which have any objectionable content.
The punishment for distribution and viewing pornography is 5 years of prison and up to Rs 10 lakhs fine.