- A 48 year old woman, came to the doctors complaining about an increasing swelling in her stomach, and loos of appetite
- She was diagnosed with an ovarian tumour and underwent a successful operation at AIIMS Insitute Delhi
- The tumour weighed 17.8 kg, as weighed after surgery
- She came to AIIMS after trying out another hospital, but couldn’t afford any other place
- She came in weighing 58 kgs, which was reduced to 40 kgs after the surgery
48 year old women, residing in Shalimar Bagh, Delhi, came to the hospital with complaints of loss of appetite and a growing swelling in her abdomen. After testing, it was revealed that she had an ovarian tumour, that had been growing for the past one- one and a half months. As the tumour was growing, she was also facing difficulty breathing.
The woman was taken to many different hospitals, but since she couldn’t afford the treatment, her ultimate choice was AIIMS, Delhi, where she was kept for around a month before surgery. After a CT it was revealed that the woman has a huge cyst in her ovary, filled with fluid, which needed to be removed via surgery. She had a fullness in the abdomen.
Although the diagnosis was confirmed a while back, she could only be operated on Thursday, 17th October 2019, due to an increased platelet count. She was taken into surgery, after this was brought into control, where a tumour weighing a whopping 18kgs was removed. The tumour had increased in size monumentally during the one month wait.
The patient had come into the hospital with a weight of 58 kgs but was reduced to a mere 40 kgs after the surgery. She is now healed and under-recovery. According to the doctors, such incidents are on the rise due to the change in the current lifestyle.