- Reliance Jio, is set to charge 6 paise to its customers per minute for a call made to another mobile network
- This development is in contrast to the chairman of Reliance, Mukesh Ambani’s promise to keep the network absolutely free for its customers for voice calls.
- This cost is called the Interconnect Usage Cost (IUC) which have been fixed by the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of India.
- This change in the mobile network plans comes after a consultation paper was issued by the TRAI to extend the deadline to make IUC zero.
- This change has been made effective from today, 9th October 2019, for every new recharge made.
Reliance Jio, Indian leading mobile network platforms, has announced that starting today, 9th October 2019, they will be charging 6 paisa for every offline voice call made to another sim card operating on a different mobile network. The charges, called the Interconnect Usage Cost (IUC) comes after the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority of India issued a consultation paper to extend the deadline for making IUC zero effective January 2020.
So far, the company has been paying for the IUC’s from out of their resources, and not charging the customers for the same. Jio has paid around Rs 13,500 crores to Bharat Airtel and Vodafone-Idea as a part of IUC.
To ensure that there is no significant difference in the bill amount of a customer due to this new development, the company is offering additional data entitlement of equivalent value as a part of their plans.
When is the charge applicable and when is it not?
The charge is applicable on any offline voice calls made to sim cards of other mobile networks. However, the charge is not applicable for Jio to Jio cards, incoming calls, Jio to landline calls, and online calls through social networking sites.
This new development comes after the Chairman, Mukesh Ambani, made a claim at the beginning of the company to provide unlimited free calling services for its customers.